I read a blog post last week from another American expat who listed some things that she thought of when she arrived in Australia, and it inspired me to come up with my own list. Here some things I thought to myself (or out loud!) during our first few months of living abroad:
1. That is NOT bacon, it's ham!
|We have since discovered "streaky bacon", which is more like American bacon.|
|You will only find a bar/restaurant inside this "hotel"!|
4. An entree is just an appetizer...and it costs how much?!
|"Mains" (or "entrees" in America) would be listed next on the menu|
6. What is a milk bar?
|A milk bar|
|Note that a "pitcher" is called a jug!|
9. An eraser is called a "rubber"?!
10. The mall closes at 5:30pm?
|These are typical shopping centre hours. A lot of times they open at 9am or later and some are open till 9pm on Friday in addition to being open late on Thursday.|
12. What is rocket and why it is on my sandwich?
|Commonly known as arugula in America|
14. Tea = dinner. Tea = a mid morning break for snacks. Which one is it?
15. I can't just order a "coffee"?
|It was so, so confusing in the beginning. Now I have learned to embrace the coffee choices!|
17. What is a serviette?
18. Why is there a lemon in that Corona?
19. Which button do I push on the toilet to make it flush?
|A fabulous idea that more Americans should adopt!|
21. Pies have meat in them, and they are not eaten for dessert?
|It actually tastes better than it looks!|
23. A baby (bub) sleeps in a cot, rides in a pram, and wears nappies while sucking on a dummy?!
24. I have to put money in the cart (trolley) at the grocery store in order to use it?
|Better make sure you have a $1 or $2 coin for grocery shopping.|
|Note the diagram above that shows the size of the $10 beer, which is equal to about 12 oz. On a more positive note, there is no paying tax or tip on top of this price.|